Re: SSL bundle

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: SSL bundle
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 15:35:20 +0000

On 10 Feb 2008, at 15:33, Fred Kiefer wrote:

In most cases it does not cause any trouble to always include gui.make.
Only on already inconsistent systems we should be able to produce a
better warning message and fall back to something sensible. The ability
to link without gui is a nice add-on, that should be possible, but not
on the cost of breaking most applications out there.

I've come across problems with the automatic linking of -gui when writing command-line applications with GNUstep. Anything that interacts with the runtime and does things like enumerating loaded classes (useful for glueless plugins and so on, and used by UnitKit) is likely to trigger +initialize messages being sent to AppKit classes, which have limited (or no) error handling for cases where the X server is not present and often cause unexpected breakage (- respondsToSelector: should never throw an exception, for example, and so code assumes this and when you try to move it to a guiless application you will find things going seriously wrong).

Having, at the very least, an option not to link -gui, even if it's installed, would be very handy, and it really should be the default for TOOLs.

David