RE: problem porting sogo to use gnustep-make 2

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: RE: problem porting sogo to use gnustep-make 2
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 20:05:37 +0100

Hi,
nicola.pero@meta-innovation.com wrote:
> Hi Sebastian
>
> I had a look at SOPE trunk (which I understand is the basis of SOGo), at
least
> at sope-xml and sope-core, and did some changes to support gnustep-make
2's
> flexible layouts -- the obvious makefile changes, but also I patched
NGBundleManager
> and NGResourceLocator to work with gnustep-base >= 1.14 and gnustep-make
>= 2.0.0
> as well as the existing FHS and older gnustep-make + libFoundation
support. :-)

> Some changes (mostly the makefile ones) are no-brainers that really
> should go straight into subversion trunk; the changes to the ObjC code are
only
> slightly less obvious and you may want to check them a little (basically,
try
> compiling/installing/using SOPE in the various configurations, fix any
issue,
> and you're done, there isn't anything particularly difficult once the
resources
> are found in the various configurations). :-)
>
> I also managed not to change the ObjC API of NGResourceLocator.m at all
which
> should make Helge happy :-) - the new code heuristically maps paths
relative to
> a GNUstep filesystem layout (ie, the old GNUstepPath arguments) onto the
new
> arbitrary GNUstep paths (ie, what is required by
NSSearchPathForDirectoriesInDomains).
> This means there should hopefully be no need to update callers, but I
haven't tested
> or reviewed the callers in the higher layers. ;-)
>
> It is possible to do better, but would require more extensive changes
including API
> changes - this should be enough at least for sope-xml and sope-core. :-)
>
> Anyway, feel free to merge my patches/changes with yours / whatever
someone else
> has been working on.  I hope this unblocks your gnustep-port work - let me
know
> how it goes. :-)

I have got sope and sogo working now with only touching the GNUmakefiles and
the ./configure scripts. I create a central config.make file where I define
the main path variables, depending on either installation into GNUstep or
FHS filesystem layout. So changing these is already ten times easier as it
was before where these paths were set in many places.
The web bundles are not yet installed into e.g. Library/WebApplications, and
other stuff, because I did not yet changed anything in the objc code. Your
patches will definitly help me in making it fit better.
But my first changes are making the code more 64bit robust, with regards to
library paths in FHS layout in sope.
Then I'll take a close look at what you have done. I'll keep you updated how
it is going.

thanks a lot!
Sebastian