Re: Interface localization ?

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Interface localization ?
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 20:36:33 +0000

On 23 Nov 2007, at 20:00, Nicolas Roard wrote:

On Nov 23, 2007 7:45 PM, Pete French <pete@twisted.org.uk> wrote:
I wouldn't do that either. It's like writing a master thesis in LATeX

ttoally off topic, but LaTeX is prertty much a requirement in academia
in the UK still (?!). I thought it had vanished, but my flatmate had
a job editing papers for journals and it is all required to be submitted
in LaTeX. erp!

Frankly I wouldn't want to write a paper or thesis in anything else
than LaTeX...
Not that we couldn't have great graphical tools for that; but we don't
right now.

I'd love to have written my thesis or my book in something better than LaTeX. I fully intend to abandon it as soon as something better exists.

Back on-topic, something like LaTeX for GUI design would be great. Currently, we have two options for GNUstep:

- Gorm, which is like FrameMaker. You lay out your page (app) exactly as you want it to appear to the end user. - Renaissance, which is like HTML. You lay out your app roughly with some markup and hope it will look how you wanted it.

The ideal solution would be something like LaTeX, where you define the interactions you need, and it pulls in 40 years of HCI research to design a beautiful UI that embodies these interactions, with a \documentclass equivalent so you could make it conform to a set of predefined platform HIGs. Unfortunately, I haven't yet decided whether designing such a system is impossible or just really, really hard.

David

P.S. Three times today, I've managed to send a reply to a mail on this list to the sender, not to the list. Is there any sane reason why this list does not set Reply-To: to the list address? Every mailing list except this one that I've ever subscribed to has had the reply button send a message to the list.