Re: Open URL in NSWorkspace

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Open URL in NSWorkspace
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 14:38:41 +0200

Hi Fabien,

I think we should stop this discussion here. We have been here many
times before and I don't see anything new point arising. There are
people who think that GNUstep should try to follow Cocoa and others who
think that we should restrict ourselves to OpenStep, with proper
additions from Cocoa, of course.
It is fine to take any of these points of view, but what you can never
achieve is to force anybody else to take over your point. Nobody is
stopping you or anybody else to improve the OpenStep features of
GNUstep. Any contribution here is welcome. But so are Cocoa
compatibility changes, like the one I have just made.

Or are you suggesting that you and perhaps others stopped contributing
to GNUstep, because I and maybe others aim for Cocoa?

You are talking about new bugs that we have been introducing. Of course
we do this, whenever we change code there is the risk of adding new bugs
no matter if we change to improve old code or add Cocoa methods. But you
make it sound like we introduced bugs that made old functionality fail
because of Cocoa additions. Could you please elaborate on that point?

And then we may perhaps go back to the starting point of this thread and
discuss, how we should deal with NSURLs. An interesting question on
which I posted a controversial position on which I would prefer to see a
wild discussion, but the current one is really boring.

Cheers,
Fred