Re: Open URL in NSWorkspace

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: Re: Open URL in NSWorkspace
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 11:21:25 +0200

Hi,

As currently I am almost alone working on GNUstep gui
(and back for that matter), it will take some time for these things to
happen.

And GNustep is still running after Cocoa.

Featurewise, yes!

But many of the advances of Cocoa/Aqua over GNUstep/Etoile fit into the nice to have box and are not absolutely necessary to have for an efficient desktop.

With no short term objectives.

It is a no way.

Congrats to not have give up !

Are you kidding?

In conjunction with legacy stuff from Sun (Sun Ray, SGD,...) GNUstep/Etoile is a killer. For my father in law (iMovie, iTunes,...) a Mac is exactly the right box. But have you ever tried to bring Macs to enterprises? I have, also successfully. I have also seen Apple dropping EOF and Yellow Box from the market, porting WebObjects to Java and then back to Objective-C,... Oh my ... ! I can really sleep well now knowing that our preferred deployment platform for enterprise applications is Solaris/GNUstep/Etoile and whatever Apple does in the near future (iPhone, iPod,...), we will be able to deploy our business applications on any unix machine on earth (thanks to GNUstep and Etoile). Life is great!

Regards,

  Andreas