Re: Disableing/enableing fonts.

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Disableing/enableing fonts.
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 13:30:09 +0200

Isaiah Beerbower wrote:
> I'm making a font manager (Similar to Font Book on OS X) for Étoilé. I
> need to know whether there is currently a way to disable/enable fonts
> with GNUstep and, if so, what it is.

Currently there is no way to allow all different backends in GNUstep to
enable disable fonts. For the art backend, which is the standard backend
for GNUstep, it is possible to add or remove fonts by adding the nfont
directories to the Sysem/Library/Fonts directory. Most of the other
backends rely on the system to provide a list of available fonts.

Having another indirection here would surely be a nice idea, but I am
not sure, how to keep it updated. For the xlib backend we have as a
fallback a cache of all fonts known to the X windows system and it is
hard for me to remember to update this cache, whenever I update my X system.

Cheers,
Fred