Re: Scrollbars.

From: barny rabbit
Subject: Re: Scrollbars.
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 14:19:50 +1100

On Tue, 2006-11-14 at 19:04 +0100, Renaud Molla wrote:
> I think creating a free implementation of OpenStep is a good thing,
> the most important one being the API, because the end user doesn't
> care if he's using an OpenStep application or a GTK one, what the user
> looks for is ease of use
> and this is linked to the knowledge he already has of other systems.
> Since most GUI systems have scrollbars on the right, most people won't
> find the GNUstep choice a smart one. (i agree this goes back to
> OpenStep but this is dead actually).
> Furthermore, copying the OpenStep interface like it was in the 90's is
> absurd because it is assuming that in 10 years time, it wouldn't need
> any update, therefore that it is something worth being copied as is.
>

> Most people won't use GNUstep applications first because they look 10
> year old, and if some really want to give them a try, they get lost in
> menus and other behaviours one can consider strange toward other
> systems.
> However, if the goal is to create something people will always find
> good reasons not to use, then I think it's useless.

I think you'll find that the systems which have the scroll bar on the
right are also more than 10 years old. There may have been advances made
in GUI's in the last ten years, but the position of the scroll bar is
not one of them.

One area where they have advanced is in making more use of the full
colour palette (early GUIs were designed to run on systems with limited
colours and graphic memory), and have moved away from the early
battleship grey motif, although there is still a lot of it around.

I actually dislike the Gnustep GUI purely on its face value. I would
have disliked it just as much 10 or 20 years ago. It may well be
functional but it looks awful - to me.

Actually I have spent much of my life designing GUI interfaces for
application programs, and in particular have tried to come up with a
good method for drilling down through a directory hierarchy, aside from
the prevalent tree method (Microsoft), which I don't like very much. The
most functional and useable method I came up with was very similar to
the Nextstep/Gnustep one (before I had ever seen Nextstep). However I
did not use it simply because I was never able to make it look
asthetically pleasing. It is often very difficult to have a GUI that is
both visually pleasing and functional at the same time.

In general I would always place functionality and useability above
appearance, but I feel that when the quality of the appearance drops
below a certain threshold, then I find it unacceptable, regardless of
the useability.

Sad to say I feel that Gnustep/Nextstep's appearance fails on that
criteria. But if you are able to "put up with" or even like the
appearance of Gnustep, there is no doubting it will be a highly useable
system.