Re: Scrollbars.

From: Renaud Molla
Subject: Re: Scrollbars.
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 19:04:23 +0100

I think creating a free implementation of OpenStep is a good thing, the most important one being the API, because the end user doesn't care if he's using an OpenStep application or a GTK one, what the user looks for is ease of use
and this is linked to the knowledge he already has of other systems. Since most GUI systems have scrollbars on the right, most people won't find the GNUstep choice a smart one. (i agree this goes back to OpenStep but this is dead actually).
Furthermore, copying the OpenStep interface like it was in the 90's is absurd because it is assuming that in 10 years time, it wouldn't need any update, therefore that it is something worth being copied as is.

Most people won't use GNUstep applications first because they look 10 year old, and if some really want to give them a try, they get lost in menus and other behaviours one can consider strange toward other systems.
However, if the goal is to create something people will always find good reasons not to use, then I think it's useless.