Re: scrollbars [was: Re: really attracting developers]

From: Rogelio Serrano
Subject: Re: scrollbars [was: Re: really attracting developers]
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 16:49:02 +0800

On 9/6/06, Markus Hitter <mah@jump-ing.de> wrote:

Am 06.09.2006 um 06:15 schrieb Rogelio M. Serrano Jr.:

> if we could not agree where scrollbars should be then scrollbars
> are bad
> and i would rather not have them. same goes for the menubar.

While I agree with your wishes for a lean GUI, you are
oversimplifying here.

While some people think a car's steering wheel has to be on the left
side and others prefer it on the right side, most of them agree you
have to have it at least in either place.

you are not going anywhere in a car without a steering wheel right?
and the steering wheel is in the same location in relation to you,
front and center. but then there is no configuration in a car right?
somebody decided and you cant do anything about it.

lets consider the stick gear shift. would you rather have stick to the
left or right? or push buttons or rocker switch on the steering wheel
with "UPSHIFT" and "DOWNSHIFT" labels where your thumb can get to it?

ignore the the scroll bar in a browser. use the arrow keys or the
search function and you got the same thing. i prefer the keys
actually.

--
the thing i like with my linux pc is that i can sum up my complaints in 5 items