Re: Objective-C standard

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: Objective-C standard
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 22:50:40 +0200

Am 03.06.2006 um 20:24 schrieb Andreas Höschler:

IMHO people with some interest to check out a new language or API need a defined platform to do so. OPENSTEP 4.2 was such a platform for me in the old days. Install some CDs, read a few pages about Objective-C and Foundation and have 'Hello World' running very quickly.

Yup.

There is no such defined platform based on GNUstep, that could be installed with a doubleclick.

Well, I did some reseach and testing in the recent few weeks and found some projects actually trying to give us such a double-click- solution:

SimplyGNUstep <http://sourceforge.net/projects/simplygnustep/>

"A Linux/GNU distribution aimed at providing a user focused, OpenStep feeling, from bootup on." Defined Debian Sarge as it's preferred platform but wants to be compatible to others, too.

Sounds pretty good, but latest news from 2004-01-10, no file packages defined, couldn't find any documentation, "Homepage" is a dead link.

Backbone <http://www.nongnu.org/backbone/>

No preferred OS, no packages.

Étoilé <http://www.etoile-project.org>

Well, they're so overwhelmed by their great ideas they started to redefine GNUstep before ... 8-) ... surely not a click-click-solution.

GNUstep Live CD <http://linuks.mine.nu/gnustep/>

This one looks a lot like a insert-CD-and-start-coding solution. I pretty much have no idea why I didn't test this one yet, but had to ask for failure with Ubuntu and Gentoo instead.

It's downloadable, obviously working and obviously not too much bloated: it's a 440 MB download only.

Right now GNUstep based software can only be sold as part of a project that includes setting up an application server (installing GNUstep from sources). As soon as we see GNUstep based commercial (killer) applications (that can be used with any client device/os thanks to SGD), we have market acceptance for Objective-C/GNUstep.

IMHO, you won't see commercial killer apps because right now it's impossible to deploy fully embedded applications. Setting up daemons and/or GNUstep extra files needs user interaction or even can't be done without root rights. All this in a century where Mac OS X developers get flamed because they ask publicly how to use an Installer at all. Starting off right where your app plunks down after download is the current state of the art.

Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/