Re: GNUstep deployment question (on Windows)

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GNUstep deployment question (on Windows)
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 05:07:09 +0000

On 15 Mar 2006, at 23:33, Lloyd Dupont wrote:

Could I have created some bug by not updating the othere exe and bundles?
(shortly I updated only the gnustep-base & gui dlls)

Not unless you're USING the other exe files, one would presume. Doesn't this seem obvious?

While it might seems obvious ;-)
My concern was, perhaps, some of the API in Appkit & Foundation is using these executable. For example, somtimes, gdnc (or another exe) is launched and stuff like that....

Sure ... it depends what functionality you need in your own programs.

The base library may use two executables:
1. gdomap, if you attempt to create an *INTER HOST* distributed objects connection using NSSocketPortNameServer
2. gdnc, if you try to use NSDistributedNotificationCenter
The library will not use either of the executables if you don't use those features.

The gui may use:
1. gpbs, if you attempt to use NSPasteBoard (and indirectly if you use drag and drop in any of your windows) 2. gdnc indirectly ... since it uses NSDistributedNotificationCenter for NSWorkspace notifications (including notification that the app has launched) and notification of startup of gpbs if you use the pasteboard. 3. make_services is run by NSWorkspace to ensure that the cache of info about apps is kept updated.

In effect, that means that gdnc is almost certain to be used by any 'normal' application, but if you are not launching an application (ie calling the NSApplication -run method) and are not using any of the above classes directly, you are unlikely to be using any of the executables.