Re: Antialiasing on Solaris

From: etx
Subject: Re: Antialiasing on Solaris
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 11:03:18 -0500

Wow, how do you make your window decorations look so nice?

On 12/11/05, Fred Kiefer <fredkiefer@gmx.de> wrote:
Hi Andreas,

Andreas Höschler wrote:

> We draw cirlces with the following code in a drawRect: method.
>
>                [[NSColor redColor] set];
>                [[NSBezierPath
> bezierPathWithOvalInRect:NSMakeRect(point.x - 4 , point.y - 4 , 9, 9)]
> fill];
>                [[NSBezierPath
> bezierPathWithOvalInRect:NSMakeRect(point.x - 6 , point.y - 6 , 13, 13)]
> stroke];
>
> This works on both MacOSX and GNUstep. On MacOSX I get a very pretty
> circle, on GNustep it rather looks like fly-crud. I suppose antialiasing
> is not switched on. How can I check that or make sure it gets activated?
> I am on Solaris 10 and have built back with one of the following
> configure statements (don't remember which).
>
>     ./configure --enable-graphics=art --with-name=art
>     ./configure --enable-graphics=xlib --with-name=xlib
>     ./configure

I tried your code in the different gnustep backend. You could have
speeded this up by providing a full example and also by cheching which
backend you actually use. Atteached are the results I did get.

I would say that the art and the cairo screenshot don't look that bad,
cairo maybe even a bit better. Not perfect perhaps, the horicontal and
the vertical parts of the circle could be improved, I think that the
cairo screenshot would look a little bit better, if the centre of the
circle wouldn't be on a pixel coordinate, I will try later on.

So if you are seeing something worse than this, you must be using the
xlib backend and yes that's how simple X drawing looks like. We could
try to improve this a bit, by using render extensions for the X servers
that provide it, but going the art or cairo road looks like a better
solution in the long run. (Don't try to use the cairo backend at the
moment, most likely you wont even get it to compile.)

> How should I configure back to get antialiasing on Solaris? Moreover the
> titles of windows in Window Maker look rather ugly (not antialiased).
> Can this be improved anyhow?

Does this mean you are using the default settings to get GNUstep draw
the window decoration itself? Otherwise it is just the fault of the
window manager. If the string drawing here looks ugly you could either
try to install freetype on the mashine and recompile the xlib backend to
use it, or again switch to one of the other backend, which means art at
the moment.

Cheers
Fred