Re: [OT, Q] Fast RPC library?

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: [OT, Q] Fast RPC library?
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 13:31:41 +0200

On Oct 24, 2005, at 5:37, Sungjin Chun wrote:
On Oct 24, 2005, at 7:54 AM, Helge Hess wrote:
Actually I wonder _why_ you want to replace your existing system if that works?
Existing account server

Is this an "account server" (managing passwd like data) or an "accounting server" (managing eg call traffic)? Are the 10K transactions just for password checks or full account retrieval? In the former case you might also consider just using HTTP basic authentication, this will reduce the payloads to HTTP headers specified in standard HTTP.

uses platform dependent binary data for communication which makes porting and writing client very hard(for example, if you want to write client in scripting language, it's a bit hard to manipulate byte level data. If I can change this with text level protocol novice programmer can write client more easily.

Assuming that those script clients are not the primary traffic generators (and therefore do not require the 10K RPCs), maybe XML-RPC as an _additional_ protocol might make sense? I suppose moving your existing binary protocol clients/servers to be byte ordering sensitive should be much easier than to switch everything to a XML-RPC?

Anyway, I think sufficient OT suggestions have been made to close the thread :-) But I would be very interested with your final choice and also with runtime timings you have done (what RPC/s with what technology, etc).

Greets,
  Helge
--
http://docs.opengroupware.org/Members/helge/