Re: Proposal: Subversion Migration

From: Andrew Ruder
Subject: Re: Proposal: Subversion Migration
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 19:36:23 -0500

On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 09:56:30PM -0500, Andrew Ruder wrote:
> I am proposing that GNUstep migrate to using subversion (instead of
> CVS).  Gna.org (FSF France) has subversion hosting, and I believe Alex
> Perez has already registered a GNUstep project there.

Ok, the current summary:

* Mixed reactions (as if it wouldn't be).  There are several people
  behind the move and several who oppose it.

* Waiting on sourceware.org to reply, I am told they are still
  considering it.  I am told they would much more rather us have fully
  moved over there, but in order to not raise even more of an argument
  I decided it best not to tack more onto what it would take to move.
  Hosting just subversion is as of yet still a possibility, I have not
  heard anything to say otherwise.

* Gna.org's hosting service has been nixed more or less by most.  I
  don't think that this is worth pursuing because of the overall
  negative response.

My question:

Should the sourceware.org folks respond favorably to our hosting of
gnustep subversion there, will it be pursued?  I have seen lots of
arguments going both ways, but have not noticed anything from the core
developers stating whether this thread of action will even be
considered.  In short, should I just inform the sourceware.org people
not to worry about it and just wait for savannah to offer some
alternative?  Or should I begin some proposals of layout for the new
repository and start figuring out the details with the hope that hosting
issue solves itself?

I'm not looking for a flamefest here, just a simple yes or no from a
core developer with some clout in the GNUstep project, or at least some
suggestions of things that would be required besides figuring out the
hosting issue.

Thanks,
Andy

--