Re: Proposal: Subversion Migration

From: Andrew Ruder
Subject: Re: Proposal: Subversion Migration
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 19:21:46 -0500

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 01:32:57AM +0200, Helge Hess wrote:
> Well, there are two reasons which I heard in the discussion:
> a) there is no Svn admin support on GNU servers

I am still figuring this one out and have contacted some GNU people
about subversion support for GNUstep.

> b) Svn is not a viable option for GNU projects due to licensing
> issues (is this really true?)

There is obviously no issue or gcc wouldn't be moving to it next week.

> The reason people are using Svn is definitely not "hype" as some
> other people suggested in the thread. Its just a straightforward
> replacement for CVS which has proven itself in various major
> deployments over some quite a long time now.

I can't agree with you more here.  With the exception of finding a
server, moving from CVS => Subversion brings many benefits for not a lot
of effort.  The learning curve is non-existant.  Assuming we find a
place that everyone agrees with for hosting, I can only ask one
question:

Why not?

Cheers,
Andy