Re: Time to communicate

From: Riccardo
Subject: Re: Time to communicate
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 14:56:32 +0200

Hello,

On Tuesday, October 4, 2005, at 11:56 AM, Dennis Leeuw wrote:

One single communication suite which can be highly integrated (e-mail address for e-mail and VoIP, E-mail with appointment connected to calendar, contact info in Addresses linked to everything, etc.) then I think I could sell it in the organisation. First GNUstep + suite on Windows and who knows.

I understand your point of a single application and I recognize your needs. Also having them on windows would mean that cooperation and working on unix and possibly macos could be simple.

As a gnustep user I'd love for example to have an Instant Messenger suite (like Fire, gaim, ayttm, trillian... that is one program takes care of all the myriad of protocols) and a gnustep "skype". Also probably a shared environment for calendars and addresses (a la exchange) could be very interesting.

The point is that I want to stress is I'd like the sutie as most as possible "componentized". I love the approach that calendar, mail, Addresses and iSync (and iChat) have on mac. sharing of the information in separate programs well-connected together. SO you use what you need only.

maybe tosmething like iSync but thought for collaboration?

is the skype protocol known so it can be reimplemented? WOuld that be legal?

also I wonder how well gnustep could handle video streaming for teleconference and stuff like netmeeting.

-R