Time to communicate

From: Dennis Leeuw
Subject: Time to communicate
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 11:56:20 +0200

Hi all,

I am stuffed with work right now, but that made me think of something that maybe someone in GNUstep community can use.

The problem at my work is the enormous amount of communication means people want to use: Chat, mail, shared calendar, VoIP, video conferencing etc.

We as the IT team have a very hard time maintaining security, apps and the like just to keep the users happy (note: this is a social company, so the word 'no' does not exist).

While GNUstep already has GNUmail, TalkSoup, a calendar and Addresses it would be nice if it could be turned into a suite with a VoIP app and some video conferencing abilities.

We are currently figuring out Asterisk (http://www.asterisk.org) and the use over satelite with iaxComm (http://iaxclient.sourceforge.net/iaxcomm), which looks promising.

But the point is if I could propose a system that has integrated the features needed by our users, in a secure way (irc and not msn, iax and not rtp, GNUmail and not outlook, etc.) that would help a lot.

One single communication suite which can be highly integrated (e-mail address for e-mail and VoIP, E-mail with appointment connected to calendar, contact info in Addresses linked to everything, etc.) then I think I could sell it in the organisation. First GNUstep + suite on Windows and who knows.

I won't make this e-mail much longer, just some thinking that's all.

Thanks,

Dennis Leeuw