Re: GNUstep and session management

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GNUstep and session management
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 08:58:44 +0000

On 2005-10-06 07:53:48 +0000 Roman Belenov <rbelenov@yandex.ru> wrote:

Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard@brainstorm.co.uk> writes:

When the session manage wishes to shut down (either for a logout or for the
machine shutting down), it should post an
NSWorkspaceWillPowerOffNotification to the workspace notificationCenter.
The workspace notification center sends that notification to all the
applications in the session, and they can respond by closing down cleanly.

Is there a fallback for applications that don't explicitly observe this
notification (like passing terminate: to NSApplication instance) ? What about
OpenStep or Mac OS X - do they have something like that ?

Not that I know of ... observing the notification seems to be the 'graceful' way to shut down. Internally, an application receiving a power-off notification would usually call its own -terminate method to shut down, but you can't generally call that from outside the application. So if an application ignores the power off notification, I guess you really have to use the kill() system call to stop it in a less graceful manner.