Re: GNUstep on the rise!

From: Sašo Kiselkov
Subject: Re: GNUstep on the rise!
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 12:54:13 +0200

Quoting Chris Vetter <cbv@gmx.net>:

> A few days ago I read an article mentioning, among other things, GNUstep and
> how 'cool' (my choice of words) it would be if/when/whether 'these guys'
> (ie. the developers of GNUstep) would decide to put GNUstep on top of their
> OWN operating system instead of 'screwing around with existing systems
> resulting in symlinks all over the place' (again, my choice of words) and
> 'imagine GNUstep on a Mach based kernel.'

This would, IMHO, be the biggest mistake possible: tying GNUstep to a particular
platform. I personally love that fact that I only have to write an app once and
then have it running with little porting effort on Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X,
and even ugly, but spread M$ Windows.

Of course, I'm not against a GNUstep-only-system (hell, I already did it as my
graduation work at high school, complete with a CD-based installer, integrated
workspace, it's own package management, etc.), but care should be taken not to
make it part of the core libraries.

 Saso