RE: GNUstep on the rise!

From: Vaisburd, Haim
Subject: RE: GNUstep on the rise!
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 14:40:28 -0700

Cris Vetter wrote:

[...] [ GNUstep separate OS ]

> AFAIK, xMach is dead :-( So does anyone know how far Hurd is with
> respect to usability?
[...]

Sorry, I deleted the essential part of Cris' letter that I'm going to
reply.

I guess when Chris was talking exclusive GNUstep experience he meant the
distribution, not the OS per se (kernel). It seems the obvious choice
for that distribution would be the Linux kernel. As far as I understand,
nothing in the kernel dictates unix standard FHS, unix standard
configuration
(/etc content), a type of window system or other things that might annoy
a person who experienced NeXT ( I never did ).

On the other hand it's well supported for several architchures and many
periferal devices.

Other post suggested Darwin, I believe it would be as good as Linux,
but why to look for something else?

Tima.