Re: GUI without X11 / Artist Help

From: jesse
Subject: Re: GUI without X11 / Artist Help
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 17:01:05 -0600 (CST)

> Le 8 févr. 05, à 18:41, Banlu Kemiyatorn a écrit :
>
>> On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 00:57:19 -0600, Jesse Ross
>>
>> http://www.quentinmathe.com/gnustep/documentation/UI/icons/
>> (is this the recent one?)
>
> Yes, but I need to update it.
>
>> It was argue that the space shouldn't be a problem since the hitTest
>> should be a square but see 2)
>>
>> 2) On User interaction chapter of
>>
>> http://www.quentinmathe.com/gnustep/documentation/UI/icons/c187.html
>>
>> I argued that quare hitTest is a bad idea since I don't think clicking
>>  in
>> invisible UI is a good thing. I remember we were discussing this in
>> IRC and Quentin said he'll consider about it. I guess I'd like to  see
>> the spec to make a clear decision on this.
>
> I should have done it and I will do it :-)
>
>> 3) I'd like to see the spec to state it clear about the outline.
>>
>> Some of my icons as in the link posted above doesn't have outline.
>> Once I was too aquaish. Some did, which I prefered them.
>> Outline is good. It makes it easier to recognize the icons.
>
> I'm not really convinced by the outline utility, it looks a bit
> cartoonish in my opinion. I think if you take the time to create the
> icon well and the icon looks sharp and correctly detailed at various
> sizes, the outline is not really needed.

Maybe the best way to deal with this is keep a non-scaling line weight.
The smaller icons definitely need some type of outline to help with visual
recognition. Larger sizes, like 128x128 or 64x64 could get away with much
more detail and more photorealism.

>> I think it would be nice if Jesse is free enough to become a main
>> artist
>> and can do free stuffs for people's applications including default set
>> of GNUstep icon.
>
> We are a bit in the dark currently with Jasper I admit… but if it is
> possible I think (outside of the fact he is a very good designer) it
> would be fair to let him finish the work he started on the core icons
> set, but inputs from other people like Jesse would be welcome.

I agree. I didn't do these designs to steal work away from Jasper. I was
actually beginning to design a new interface/GUI for Linux, and did the
icons for that project. But then I discovered GNUstep, found that it had
most of the features I was looking for, and wanted to see if there was a
way that I could get involved. The icons seemed like a good way to present
some of my work and start a dialog.

> Moreover
> a bunch of GNUstep applications need probably better icons, then I
> think there are work for many icons designers here. Well I know it
> would help everybody who want to work on GNUstep related icons if we
> have a basic GNUstep icons set in order to have a better idea of the
> look for UI consistency… I'm sorry the things are a bit slow to come

Totally willing to help in this regard, and help fill in the gaps if the
contract with Jasper comes to an end or gets too expensive. Whatever style
he establishes I would be willing to emulate -- the icons on his site are
very nice and wouldn't mind working in that style.

> :-/
> We should may be set up a special mailing list along the marketing list
> on gna.org to talk about UI issues. What do you think ?

Agreed -- I just signed up to the marketing list because it seemed like a
good place for some of this discussion.