Re: *Any* way to getting GNUstep on a G4 ???

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: *Any* way to getting GNUstep on a G4 ???
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 01:52:01 +0000 (GMT)

> > > Well, but in this case, I will need to reset it each time I relaunch
> > > my Terminal application which is a bit boring because I'm compiling
> > > GNUstep stuff everyday.
> >
> > As GNUstep-make maintains all resources regarding how to build a
> > GNUstep app, it should remember which compiler to use as well.
> > Especially if it's a non-default compiler ($CC was set at configure
> > time).
>
> Markus,
>
>  do you mean "should" as in "it will if nothing goes wrong" or as in "it
> would be cool if this was added so GNUstep-make does this in the future"?

gnustep-make does it now :-)

If you run

CC=xxx ./configure

inside gnustep-make, the CC you specify will be saved into config.make and
will be automatically used by gnustep-make whenever you compile something.

The reason why Quentin might be adding CC=... in his login script is that
while gnustep-make will honour the CC=xxx specified when you ./configured
gnustep-make, autoconf will not, so whenever you run a ./configure command
for gnustep-base or any other library, you have to pass CC=xxx ./configure
again, because the ./configure for that library, which is using autoconf,
has no idea what CC you have given to gnustep-make.

===

That for explaining what the system is doing at the moment; we could
improve on it of course.

Presumably we could store the CC in the config.site file which we install
into $GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT/share/config.site, that might help when you
./configure stuff as in ./configure --prefix=$GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT.
gnustep-base might be set up to look up that file even if you don't
./configure it like that.

My feeling though is that generally there is always the risk that you use
some package / application / library which has got a ./configure file
which is not as smart, and then you get into confusing troubles with a
different gcc being used to compile.

So probably if you are using a custom compiler it's quite a good idea to
using the custom compiler and be 100% sure it will always be used, by
gnustep-make, ./configure scripts, makefiles for non-GNUstep projects
(helpful if you're installing custom libs) etc.

Thanks