Re: $GNUSTEP_DEFAULTS_DIR not set/exported in GNUstep.sh

From: Simon Stapleton
Subject: Re: $GNUSTEP_DEFAULTS_DIR not set/exported in GNUstep.sh
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 19:00:06 +0200

On 30 Jul 2004, at 17:53, Nicola Pero <nicola@brainstorm.co.uk> wrote:

 1. have window maker detect and parse ~/.GNUsteprc.  You can probably
copy code from user_home.c (assuming licenses are compatible of course). If a defaults directory is set there, use it. If a gnustep user directory
is set there, append Library/Defaults/ and use it.  Else, just use
~/GNUstep/Library/Defaults/ (I think, check what the default is).

Hmm. Off the top of my head, surely a better option (and I can't check, don't have the windowmaker source to hand) would be to refactor the defaults handling of windowmaker to use NSUserDefaults instead of relying on the environment variables directly. Under GNUstep only, of course. That way, under GNUstep, it would use the right directory automagically, and under plain *n*x it would rely on whatever its current methodology is.

I appreciate that this causes code duplication, but it's the only way to make something _really_ *step compliant and have it work under plain *n*x as well.

No?

Simon

--
AppleCare.  Now _there's_ an oxymoron for you.