Re: $GNUSTEP_DEFAULTS_DIR not set/exported in GNUstep.sh

From: Michael Baehr
Subject: Re: $GNUSTEP_DEFAULTS_DIR not set/exported in GNUstep.sh
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 22:07:20 -0500

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 16:57:58 -0700 (PDT), Alex Perez
<aperez@student.santarosa.edu> wrote:
> This is a problem for me because I am working on improving WindowMaker's
> GNUstep integration. If $GNUSTEP_USER_DIR is set to ~, by default the
> Defaults/ directory is in the users' homedir, which is ugly. I place it in
> ~/Library, which, incidentally is also where it is in OS X (Except it's
> named Preferences).
>
> By default, WindowMaker puts its' defaults file in
> $GNUSTEP_USER_DIR/Defaults this path is hardcoded in serveral place in the
> WM source as $GSDIR/Defaults (when $GNUSTEP_USER_DIR is set,
> $GSDIR=$GNUSTEP_USER_DIR) This is bad. However, in WindowMaker's defense,
> since the $GNUSTEP_DEFAULTS_DIR is /never/ set by default, it has no way
> of currently doing anything else. If we make this envvar exported by
> default (as $GNUSTEP_DEFAULTS_DIR=$GNUSTEP_USER_DIR/Defaults) then I will
> be able to make WindowMaker respect this properly.
>
> Nicola, can we pretty-please do this? I don't see any disadvantage, as
> long as the default for the envvar is set to the same place as it is now
> without it (namely, $GNUSTEP_USER_DIR\Defaults).

I think this would be an excellent change.  Allowing more fine-grained
control of the various directories GNUstep expects and uses would be a
boon for both packaging and interaction with other programs
(specifically windowmaker).

--
Michael Baehr - Arch Linux GNUstep Geek