Re: what gui backend

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: what gui backend
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 17:24:02 +0200

Pete French wrote:
> > Realistically for now: yes. If you are using a local terminal and can
> > stand a chance of a little freetype/nfont pain, use art. If you are
> > using a remote terminal or want something that will almost always work
> > but don't mind a few jaggies, use xlib.
>
> Does art not work on a remote X server?

It should, but you might have to set the XWindowBufferUseXShm default to
NO manually since many X servers incorrectly claim that they support
XShm over remote connections.

Also, note that back-art works by rendering everything to a buffer
locally and sending the results to X. This works great when the display
is local (and really great when using XShm), but I expect it to be
rather slow remotely. On a fast local network, it might be ok; I haven't
been able to test.

> Am about to try this when I go
> into work on monday as a way of deploying GNustep apps to Windows
> user (host them all on a server and remote display to an X server under
> Windows).
>
> Any comments on the viability of this BTW ? I havent thought this throuhg
> in any deatil and am wondering if I am going to get problems with more
> than one person wanting to use an App...

With the current default behavior of -base, yes. This patch:

http://w1.423.telia.com/~u42308495/alex/NSMessagePort_default.patch

switches -base to use NSMessagePort by default, and with one user
account per user, it should work fine (it does here).

- Alexander Malmberg