Re: what gui backend

From: Pete French
Subject: Re: what gui backend
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 12:38:48 +0100

> It should, but you might have to set the XWindowBufferUseXShm default to
> NO manually since many X servers incorrectly claim that they support
> XShm over remote connections.

Inclusing XFree86 it seems - however, having done this I find that it
does seem to work absolutely fine using the art backend. Which may be
fairly traffic intensive, but this is being used by several people
all plugged into the same 10Base-T hub so it doesnt seem to be an issue.

> rather slow remotely. On a fast local network, it might be ok; I haven't
> been able to test.

Its works fine here...

> With the current default behavior of -base, yes. This patch:
>
> http://w1.423.telia.com/~u42308495/alex/NSMessagePort_default.patch
>
> switches -base to use NSMessagePort by default, and with one user
> account per user, it should work fine (it does here).

O.K. - I havent applied that as yet. Is that patch going to make it into -base
at sme point in the near future though ? I dont really want to keep re-patching
every time I upgrade GNUstep, and it sounds like it would be a good thing
to have in -base anyway.

Thanks for all the advice, it looks like it will work excellently.

-bat.