Re: When should support for the older 2.95.x compilers be deprecated?

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: When should support for the older 2.95.x compilers be deprecated?
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 19:44:08 +0200

Adam Fedor wrote:

On Thursday, April 22, 2004, at 06:38 PM, Gregory John Casamento wrote:

How many distributions use versions of gcc < 3.0 as their primary compilers?

When should the end-of-life be for these?

I still have it on a Solaris box I have. So at least for the core libraries, I always compile it there just to make sure it works. I don't see any compelling reason not to support it for a while.

Great that we will keep on supporting gcc 2.95. Should we also change our websites to reflect this? On the download section for the different packages we state that the minimal gcc release is 3.3.1. We could make this the recommended release and put 2.95 in as the minimal.