Re: Fitt's law, was: Re: NSToolbar (was Re: Portability/Compatability be

From: Banlu Kemiyatorn
Subject: Re: Fitt's law, was: Re: NSToolbar (was Re: Portability/Compatability between GNUstep<---> Cocoa...)
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 23:30:01 +0700

Where in the Microsoft world toolbar are located at the _very_ egde of the screen and not _just close_ to it?

I never said anything about Microsoft. But actually, near is better than
anywhere.
Since you can still control your habit by moving mouse down a bit after it
reached
the position.

At first this egde near thing holds only true if the application is set to full screen mode, otherwise those toolbars sit at the egde of the _window_ which has no benefit.

Sorry I have no idea about full screen thingy on Windows. I never really use it.
I was talking about Adobe's application on OSX (ie. Acrobat reader) since
we are discussing NSToolbar.

At second the active areas of the tool button and the taskbar buttons dont reach to the _very_ egde of the screen. So you won't fullfill Fitt's law this way.

And who cares? Did you even pay attention to my ascii-art example?
a shot I mocked months ago. http://maliwan.sourceforge.net/nstoolbar.jpg
(don't tell me it's ugly since I've heard enough) and the previous discussion.
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnustep/2003-10/msg00147.html
I made some errors in that discussion on those windows that may not take focus.
{Which could be solved by making the toolbar at the top of those windows
(and don't tell me that's nasty because I've heard enough, I just tell why
I am not against toolbar at the top of the screen)}

readings on this:

http://www.asktog.com/columns/022DesignedToGiveFitts.html

http://www.asktog.com/basics/firstPrinciples.html (the paragraph on fitt's law (actually spelled Fitts's Law within this document, if you want to search for it))

Thank you. And I'm glad you read it.