Re: NSToolbar (was Re: Portability/CompatabilitybetweenGNUstep<--->Coco

From: Jeff Teunissen
Subject: Re: NSToolbar (was Re: Portability/CompatabilitybetweenGNUstep<--->Cocoa...)
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 12:02:00 -0500

Uli Kusterer wrote:

> In article <mailman.646.1074098213.928.discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>,
>  Jeff Teunissen <deek@d2dc.net> wrote:
>
> > So now every row of icons is a toolbar? No. Every toolbar has one
> > particular feature, and some others that are common.
> >
> > 1. A toolbar is always a single control, distinct from the rest of the
> > UI.
>
> Check.
>
> > 2. A toolbar may be enabled or disabled. (optional)
>
> That's not true for Cocoa's NSToolbar. You can validate individual
> items, though, if you meant that.

Cocoa's NSToolBar may be disabled (hidden) by the user, satisfying the
feature. I wasn't referring to application control.

> > 3. A toolbar may be configurable. (optional, but expected)
>    Wasn't true until MacOS X 10.2, IIRC.
>
> > 4. A toolbar may be detachable and/or reorientable. (optional, but
> > common)
>    Not true at all on MacOS X. You can show/hide it, You can switch
> between Text & Icons, Text Only or Icons Only, and you can switch
> between two sizes. But you can't tear it off, nor can you make vertical
> NSToolbars.

The first feature is a requirement, and the other three are simply common
features. The primary point was that the NSToolbar class in the NeXTApps
framework satisfies _none_ of them (not even that first critical point), and
I would say that this means that it can hardly be considered a "toolbar" to
any greater extent than the row of buttons at the bottom of an alert panel
can be, or a column of graphical radio buttons.

[snip]