Re: XML idea

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: XML idea
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 23:51:19 +0100

On 06.01.2004, at 23:40, Alex Perez wrote:
The official word, AFAIK, is that XML stuff in general is to be kept out
of base, except on an OPTIONAL basis, which is how it is now. It's not
just GSXML.

This is starting to get funny, but please give a reference (mail archive or webpage) where something like this was being said. NSXMLParser is very fresh and this thread is the first thing I have seen where it is being discussed.

It could be put there, but it would only be a class that worked if
--with-xml or whatever were used, same as how GSXML works now.

Well, it should just detect whether libxml2 or expat is installed and if not disable NSXMLParser. I think this is how it works with GSXML right now and which is fine.
No one said that new stuff should break old stuff ;-)

On the other side it could be implemented in a more generic way, like the SAX driver bundles in SaxObjC, but I wonder whether this is worth the effort just for NSXMLParser, I guess not (and libxml2 is available on almost any platform anyway).

Greets,
  Helge
--
I'm describing in a paragraph what took 14 hours to figure out. You may want to sniff glue for a while, then reread this when you get out of rehab. [aLa]