Re: XML idea

From: Dr. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: XML idea
Date: 7 Jan 2004 02:10:21 -0800

Alexander Malmberg <alexander@malmberg.org> wrote in message
news:<mailman.88.1073443495.928.discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>...
> Helge Hess wrote:
> > Hm, so gstep-base doesn't have the goal to be as compatible with MacOSX
> > Cocoa as possible?
>
> Not as an at-all-costs, bug-for-bug compatible goal. It's kindof a
> partial 'goal', subject to other 'goals'. _I_ would say "We should take
> the Good Stuff from Cocoa, and leave the rest."; YMMV.
>
> > Hm, too bad, makes it uninteresting for a large group of people :-|
>
> Well, they are free to send patches that implement all this stuff. The
> patches may or may not be accepted; if not, they can work on something
> like PortabilityKit, or even fork.

A fork has already been started with two goals:
a) Runs on Linux-ARM (Sharp Zaurus) with X11 backend (i.e. is stripped
down from some GNUstep extensions)
b) High Cocoa compatibility (incl. automatic nib file translation) to
leverage the developer base

It is called mySTEP and is based on Felipe Rodriguez' mGStep.
Here a link: http://www.dsitri.de/php/projects/project.php?project=mySTEP
But NSXMLParser is not yet on highest priority - there are other as
interesting things still missing...

hns