Re: storing ids

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: storing ids
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 10:37:47 -0700

On Thu, 29 May 2003 16:08:19 GMT
reuss <reuss@chello.hu> wrote:
> in gnustep, which method to use to store and reference object by id?
> NSArray? NSEnumerator?
> own linkedlist? own stack implementation?
> other?

That depends on what you want to store and/or how those are implemented.
As an example how to implement a Stack and a Queue, you might want to
take a look at

http://www.knuddel.org/Projects/KoKit/Documentation/KoFoundation/KFStack.html
http://www.knuddel.org/Projects/KoKit/Documentation/KoFoundation/KFQueue.html

and the respective source in CVS.

> is it a wrong solution?
> NSMutableArray *anArray;
> anArray=[NSMutableArray new[;
> id anObject=[[MyObject alloc]init];
> for(i=0;i<10000000000;i++)
>   [anArray addObject: [anObject newWithValuw: i]];

Assuming that -newWithValue: returns an object, this would be correct,
although 10000000000 might result in an overflow.

I wouldn't call the method _new_WithValue:, as the 'new' implies a new
instance of MyObject, instead [anObject addValue: i] or [anObject
addInteger: i] (addFloat: addLong: ... you get the idea) would be a
better name.

--
Chris