Re: RE : Horizontal menus.

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: RE : Horizontal menus.
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 06:10:36 +0100

On Wednesday, May 28, 2003, at 04:45 pm, Chad Hardin wrote:

We all know that Horiz Top of the screen menus are good because they are very easy to hit with the mouse since they contain an infinite amount of vertical space.  Plus, text is hozizontal, which means we have this nice wide area for each submenu to hit.

IMO that argument is false because it simply misses the point. Hitting a menu item is more
an issue of locating it visually than an issue of manual dexterity moving the mouse pointer,
so the vertical layout is easier to hit for most (western) people, who are used to locating
words in vertical lists.

I think we can agree that, in light of these reasonings, horiz menus are better.

Absolutely not. Of course, they are better for *some* people ... which is why having a
bundle for horizontal menus is unobjectionable.