Re: Preferences.app vs Configure.app; was Re: ANN: GNUtooth, Bluetooth

From: Philippe C . D . Robert
Subject: Re: Preferences.app vs Configure.app; was Re: ANN: GNUtooth, Bluetooth 'support' forGNUstep
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 09:44:34 +0200

Hi,

On Friday, May 16, 2003, at 05:58 AM, Jeff Teunissen wrote:
<rant>
FUD, FUD, FUD!

[snip]

I know that you have some hatred towards Macs. This is of course solely
your decision and I don't want to keep you from acting out this bias.
But don't tell things you can not prove.
</rant>

FUD FUD FUD yourself. I have no hatred whatever towards Macs, or even
Apple. I dislike what Apple have done to combine Mac OS and
NeXTstep/OPENSTEP. Each one, taken individually, is a great piece of
software. The combination is a great piece of elephant offal.

Well, do you use OSX? I do, and I must say it is a great OS for daily usage. And although I am an 'old NEXTSTEP freak' I think they did a really good job at combining the 2 OSes.

I also say, without qualification, that Apple are not relevant to the
future of free software. As such, they are no better and no worse than the rest of the proprietary software companies, and are doomed along with the rest of them by the growth of free software running on commodity hardware.

Doesn't mean I hate them, it merely means that I relegate them to the
ashbin of history along with the SCOs, Microsofts, and Oracles of the
world. Eventually, all will fall, and it's best to let them die rather
than prop them up. Ignoring and refusing to support them will merely
accelerate the process of either converting them to free software, or
putting them out of our misery.

Even including Darwin, they don't do free software. At best, they take
advantage of the good will of others by taking free bug fixes and
development without accepting any risk. It's a good gig, if you can get
it.

That is only true if you strictly refer to GPL. Apple uses open source software and also commits back changes they made, of course.

-Phil
--
Philippe C.D. Robert
http://www.nice.ch/~phip