Re: Preferences.app vs Configure.app; was Re: ANN: GNUtooth, Bluetooth

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: Preferences.app vs Configure.app; was Re: ANN: GNUtooth, Bluetooth 'support' for GNUstep
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 19:00:31 +0200

On 15.05.2003 11:20:47 Jeff Teunissen wrote:
>No, it's merely an artifact of how Apple machines are constructed, and
>inapplicable to commodity systems. Configure needs to be able to set
>things up, because on hardware that isn't locked down by the
manufacturer,
>there are things that need to be set up before they will work.

<rant>
FUD, FUD, FUD! There is nothing locked down by manufacturer, you can add
every IDE compliant drive (be it CD-ROM,HD or whatever), standard RAM
modules, PCI cards, AGP cards and of course USB and FireWire
periphericals. Of course there has to be a driver (either the generic one
or one made by the manufacturer) that supports those components. But
nobody is keeping you or anyone else from writing such a driver, there is
even a dedicated mailing list for this. It's mostly the manufacturers that
decide it is not worth to support Macs. And yes, there are some components
that don't work under Mac OS X/Darwin but Linux/PPC.

I know that you have some hatred towards Macs. This is of course solely
your decision and I don't want to keep you from acting out this bias. But
don't tell things you can not prove.
</rant>

Back to topic. It IS annoying to be forced to reboot because some config
has changed. It should be avoided where possible (but some things are out
of reach for GNUstep because the underlying OS requires sometimes a reboot
or at least a logout).

greetings, Lars