Re: Makefile tutorial problem and " obsolete NSGCString object" warning

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Makefile tutorial problem and " obsolete NSGCString object" warning
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 16:26:21 +0100 (BST)

> When making the "first app" example why do I get the
> following "too many arguments" error:
>
> debian:~/GNUstep/Library/tutorials/Writing Makefiles
> II$ make
> Making all for app PanelTest...
>  Compiling file source.m ...
> source.m:1:2: warning: #import is obsolete, use an
> #ifndef wrapper in the header file
>  Linking app PanelTest ...
> /usr/lib/GNUstep/System/Makefiles/transform_paths.sh:
> [: too many arguments
> /usr/lib/GNUstep/System/Makefiles/transform_paths.sh:
> [: too many arguments
> /usr/lib/GNUstep/System/Makefiles/transform_paths.sh:
> [: too many arguments
> /usr/lib/GNUstep/System/Makefiles/transform_paths.sh:
> [: too many arguments
> /usr/lib/GNUstep/System/Makefiles/transform_paths.sh:
> [: too many arguments
> /usr/lib/GNUstep/System/Makefiles/transform_paths.sh:
> [: too many arguments
> /usr/lib/GNUstep/System/Makefiles/transform_paths.sh:
> [: too many arguments
> /usr/lib/GNUstep/System/Makefiles/transform_paths.sh:
> [: too many arguments
> debian:~/GNUstep/Library/tutorials/Writing Makefiles
> II$

Your problem is with the space in 'Writing Makefiles'.

I think I have fixed managing that in gnustep-make.

But generally, spaces in directories and files can be a problem.  'make'
is inherently not friendly to directories and files containing spaces.

It's recommended to build stuff in directories without spaces in names,
and use application names without spaces in them.

> A PanelTest app is made, but I get this error when
> trying to use openapp on it:
>
> debian:~/GNUstep/Library/tutorials/Writing Makefiles
> II$ ls
> GNUmakefile  PanelTest.app  obj  shared_debug_obj
> shared_obj  source.m
> debian:~/GNUstep/Library/tutorials/Writing Makefiles
> II$ openapp ./PanelTest.app
> dirname: too many arguments
> Try `dirname --help' for more information.
> Can't find absolute path for
> /home/jjs/GNUstep/Library/tutorials/Writing Makefiles
> II/PanelTest.app/PanelTest! Please specify full path
> when
> invoking executable
> debian:~/GNUstep/Library/tutorials/Writing Makefiles
> II$

I fixed this problem on CVS.  Please try gnustep-make from CVS if you can.