Re: RFC: Changes to the Gorm GUI

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: RFC: Changes to the Gorm GUI
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 05:34:57 -0700 (PDT)

--- Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard@brainstorm.co.uk> wrote:

> On Friday, April 18, 2003, at 02:44  am, Gregory Casamento wrote:
>
> > 1) The change of the class viewer in Gorm to support both the outline
> > based
> > view and the browser based view.   I have posted examples I work I
> > have done on
> > these to the list previously.
>
> I think I commented on that previously.... basically good, buy I'd like
> search field
> and action popup as in NeXTstep too.
>
> > 2) I am also considering changing the Gorm "toolbar" to be an
> > NSTabView.   This
> > would be, in my opinion, more useable and more visually attractive.
> > Please note: I am actively working on #1, I am considering #2, but I
> > wanted to
> > see if there were any strong feelings about it before I started.
>
> Without having an example of both styles side by side it's hard to be
> sure what
> the proposed change is exactly, but I think it's replacing the row of
> icons named
> 'Objects', 'Images', 'Sounds', 'Classes'.
> If so, I think that would be detrimental.  The argument for tab views
> is that the
> tabs take up less space, but I don't think space is at a premium here.
> The use of nice bold images makes things clearer and look better, and
> should
> therefore be used in preference to tabs wherever possible.

Probably true.   My thought was that tabviews would look more organized and
provide a better interface.

> Incidentally, while looking at the current code, I noticed that -
> 1. Gorm wouldn't compile due to a change in the gui headers ... I
> altered the
> document saving methods to return void  for consistency with the
> methods of
> the same names in the gui.
> 2. The existing "toolbar" had been uglified by changes to the gui
> breaking it
> somewhat ... so I fixed that too (using a hack which should perhaps be
> removed
> if there is a better way of doing things.

Thanks.   I haven't done a build in a couple of days.

GJC

=====
Gregory John Casamento
-- bheron on #gnustep, #linuxstep, & #gormtalk ----------------
Please sign the petition against software patents at:
http://www.petitiononline.com/pasp01/petition.html
Petition to make Lighthouse Application Suite Free Software at:
http://www.petitiononline.com/laafs/petition.html
--- Main Developer of Gorm (featured in April Linux Journal) ---