Re: RFC: Changes to the Gorm GUI

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: RFC: Changes to the Gorm GUI
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 06:46:42 +0100

On Friday, April 18, 2003, at 02:44  am, Gregory Casamento wrote:

1) The change of the class viewer in Gorm to support both the outline based view and the browser based view. I have posted examples I work I have done on
these to the list previously.

I think I commented on that previously.... basically good, buy I'd like search field
and action popup as in NeXTstep too.

2) I am also considering changing the Gorm "toolbar" to be an NSTabView. This
would be, in my opinion, more useable and more visually attractive.
Please note: I am actively working on #1, I am considering #2, but I wanted to
see if there were any strong feelings about it before I started.

Without having an example of both styles side by side it's hard to be sure what the proposed change is exactly, but I think it's replacing the row of icons named
'Objects', 'Images', 'Sounds', 'Classes'.
If so, I think that would be detrimental. The argument for tab views is that the
tabs take up less space, but I don't think space is at a premium here.
The use of nice bold images makes things clearer and look better, and should
therefore be used in preference to tabs wherever possible.

Incidentally, while looking at the current code, I noticed that -
1. Gorm wouldn't compile due to a change in the gui headers ... I altered the document saving methods to return void for consistency with the methods of
the same names in the gui.
2. The existing "toolbar" had been uglified by changes to the gui breaking it somewhat ... so I fixed that too (using a hack which should perhaps be removed
if there is a better way of doing things.