Re: KHTML in GNUStep?

From: Mayuresh Kathe
Subject: Re: KHTML in GNUStep?
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 14:01:37 +0530 (IST)

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Jason Clouse wrote:

> <<Why is everyone so narrow-focused on Gecko/Mozilla anyway?>>
>
> Probably just because the project has more publicity.

And is about as old as the WWW ;)

> I don't really know too much about it.  But if KHTML does a better job of
> compliance and rendering, is smaller and tighter, then that's obviously
> what should be used.  I just assumed that Gecko was more robust and
> bug-free, since they've been working on it so long.  Maybe that's an
> incorrect assumption.  I've been using the latest Phoenix browser and the
> rendering stuff looks pretty good.  But the memory usage is still very
> high.

Gecko isn't robust, nor is it bug free, reason is that they've been
working on it for tooo long :)
Gecko was meant to be cross platform and whole lot of things.
KHTML is meant to be a HTML part for the K Desktop Environment, they even
use it in their file browser, so its bound to be threateningly faster.

To check out another real life implementation, please visit
http://tisya.co.in/
That OS delivers Konqueror/embedded and that whole thing runs in 32Mb RAM.

~Mayuresh