Re: ANNOUNCE: GNUstep Renaissance is out!

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: GNUstep Renaissance is out!
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 09:30:13 -0800 (PST)

Alex,

--- Alexander Malmberg <alexander@malmberg.org> wrote:
> Gregory Casamento wrote:
> >
> > Nicola,
> >
> > Instead of building a GUI builder from scratch it would make sense, I
> think,
> > for Gorm to support the creation of different GUI formats.   Currently only
> the
> > .gorm format is supported (obviously), but I think that creating bundles
> which
> > would provide support for outputting different formats would greatly expand
> the
> > capabilities of Gorm and would allow Renaissance to leverage the work which
> has
> > gone into making Gorm more stable and usable over the past year.
>
> There's a lot more difference between .gorm and .gsmarkup (as I imagine
> it) than an "output format". "Borrowing" code is a good idea, but I
> think trying to squeeze both models into one app would cause nothing but
> problems.

>From looking at gsmarkup, it seems as though most of the same concepts apply.
When Gorm creates an archive it archives both the object instances and the
connectors.  Some of the gsmarkup examples look as though they contain the same
information (see calculator.gsmarkup).

I believe that the information being stored in both a .gorm and a .gsmarkup
file are similar enough to allow Gorm to be adapted to work with both.  It may
not be trivial, but it is doable.  As an example, currently Gorm can load BOTH
.gorm and .gmodel files.   The only reason it can't save gmodel files is
because they are *deprecated*.

> - Alexander Malmberg

Thanks, GJC

=====