Re: The Path of GNUstep (Was: Re: Gnustep + mac + windows? Possible?)

From: Philippe C . D . Robert
Subject: Re: The Path of GNUstep (Was: Re: Gnustep + mac + windows? Possible?)
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 16:33:19 +0200

Hi,

On Saturday, September 28, 2002, at 02:18 AM, Chris Hanson wrote:
At 2:27 AM -0400 9/24/02, Jeff Teunissen wrote:
This time, you are absolutely wrong. Most OS X developers know about
GNUstep. Why aren't they here? The simple fact is, not many of them CARE.

Not entirely.

Many, many people have been watching GNUstep for years. They just judge it not ready for prime time yet. And many Mac OS X developers are interested in building great applications, not working on the core frameworks.

Three things that would get Mac OS X developers using GNUstep:

* 100% of the basic AppKit working. I don't know where GNUstep stands on this right now. It doesn't have to have all the bells and whistles that the Cocoa AppKit does, but it also has to not have huge gaps in major functionality.

* The ability to easily port from Cocoa to GNUstep. A simple nib converter that's completely independent of GNUstep would go a long way here.

* Windows support that they can deploy commercial applications with (i.e. no cygwin).

Seeing is believing, so I guess if there was an easy way to install a GNUstep desktop then many would become interested in the project and more important, become active contributors! Hence my question, what would it take to create an installation script similar to the one found in early Gnome desktop versions which installs GNUstep, GWorkspace and other core applications (GNUMail, Terminal, Preferences, Gorm, ProjectCenter, EasyDiff and so on ... there are a bunch already!)?

-Phil
--
Philippe C.D. Robert
http://www.nice.ch/~phip