Re: Cocoa To GnuStep port questions

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Cocoa To GnuStep port questions
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 16:24:28 +0000

On Monday, March 11, 2002, at 03:55 PM, Pedro Ivo Andrade Tavares wrote:

I believe you will find on the mail archives a recent conversation pointing out that classes such as NSArray are vastly faster on GNUstep than on Cocoa Foundation.

I'd like to point out that that was simply reverse enumeration of an array, and addition of objects to another mutable array ... the fact that this was several times faster under GNUstep does not really indicate anything
about overall performance of the systems.

While I'm sure that GNUstep-base is generally faster than Apple Foundation, the Apple compiler/runtime uses some hand crafted assembler to speed up method despatch ... and this tends to compensate for poor optimisation elsewhere. Even so, the only area I've ever benchmarked where GNUstep is not faster is NSNotificationCentre, where I was unable to optimise to beat the Apple implementation ... though I did get GNUstep to within a couple of percent of its speed.

I'm almost certain the GNUstep gui library is slower than the Apple version ... it's much less mature software and is unoptimised in very many places. There is no fundamental reason why this should not change though - I think it's
just a matter of time.