Re: switch to XHTML

From: Pete French
Subject: Re: switch to XHTML
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 23:42:07 +0000

> designed to be parsed by MILLIONS of machines, and produced by THOUSANDS of
> people, and it's case sensitive? It is to laugh.

Case sensetivity is an artefact of the latin alphabet (and various
derivatives). It doesnt exist as a concept in most human languages, and
doesnt make and sense anyway - why are 'a' and 'A' the same, other than an
accident of description ? You wouldnt want a case-sensetive filesystem,
so why a case sensetive markup langauge ? The same arguments apply
to programming languages - you dont want SWITCH and WHILE to be valid
C do you, so why shoulg <WML> and <wml> be equivalewnt ?

> There are more standards than there are applications to comply with them.
> Every new standard, including XHTML, makes the problem worse.

This is tre. But I have yet to see a good argument as to why HTML should not
have been made case-sensitive in the first place.

-bat.