Re: Multibytes character support

From: Christian Gillot
Subject: Re: Multibytes character support
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 16:52:40 +0100

Hi,

i18n is a big issue with X framework. Right now, you've got to manage
tree types of I/O iso-latin ones (standard ones), multibyte (what you're looking for) and unicode (that'll hopefully resolve the problem when
it'll be used thoroughly).
  So if you make any adaptation you got to keep in mind to find
a way that let use anyone of this three types of I/O.

Yen-Ju Chen wrote:

 I have two questions when I test this class.
 When I use zh_TW.Big5 supported XIM server to input Chinese into
NSTextField,
 it always adds "big5-0" in front of my input automatically.
 For example, when I input a Chinese character "Apple",
 it will show "big5-0 Apple".
 I have no idea whether the problem is on GNUstep XIM client or the XIM
Server I used.
 This XIM server can work on any other system like gnome/gtk, kde/qt.
 Therefore I think maybe the problem is on GNUstep XIM client.

You're right. I coded a first draft of XIM client, adapted by Adam
Fedor as you can see in xgps/Source/SharedX/XIMInputServer.m.
But as a european user I can't test asian input which is a lot
more complex than european (accents/compose) input. So it'd
be great if you could patch this for asian input. Or if you can't
do it find a good asian programmer. If you've got problems
or don't understand something on the XIM documentation I can
help you. But be warned, it's a lot of work. (In fact no so
much but you'd have to patch not only this file but also
all the classes that manage fonts).

 Since programmers can't assign the font to NSMenu, which always use the
default font,
 is there any standard way that users can assign the default font by
themselves ?
 As far as I know, there is no standard font people will use in Chinese
xwindow,
 therefore it will be difficult to assign the default Chinese fonts by
programmer
 because they don't knwo what fonts the user have.
 If user can set the default Chinese fonts by themselves,
 it will be much easy to change the font of NSMenu to a suitable one.

Check this out but I think you can change fonts by NSUserDefaults
and cie.

Best regards,

--
Christian Gillot <cgillot@neo-rousseaux.org>