Re: 2-bytes character display ready ?

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: 2-bytes character display ready ?
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 02:12:54 +0100

Nicola Pero wrote:

I've just read http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs-fonts.html which ends up
explaining that X assumes a one-to-one correspondence between characters
and glyphs.

But that probably just means we need to do the conversion in the client,
which is perfectly fine :-)

So I wonder what happens if you send \UFB01 (which is the unicode for the
fi ligature) to an X font - does it actually display the ligature ?

If I do understand Nicola correctly we should just send a NSString from the front end to the back end. Which is probably the most easiest solution. As we will only do this from the NSStringDrawing code and advise all users to use that instead we could replace this later on, with out much trouble. So as for a short time solution we add this extra method on NSGraphicsContext, whichs default implementation is just the conversion to the font encoding currently done by the drawiong code. And everybody that wants to see real 16 Bit characters just slots it a better implementaiton of XGFont (I will polish the standard one up a bit to support this as well) This will be a derivation from a pure PostScript drawing interface (as an exchange I will postbone the Bezier path extension), but I promise to make sure it works for the xdps backend and for PS printing.

Cheers
Fred