Re: Feeling about GS file browsing

From: Jeff Teunissen
Subject: Re: Feeling about GS file browsing
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 13:33:20 -0500

"Chris B. Vetter" wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Dec 2001 17:02:57 +0100
> Erik Dalen <dalen@jpl.nu> wrote:
> > On 2001-12-27 11:20:39 +0100 "Peron, Stéphane"
> > <stephane.peron@dcmc.creditlyonnais.fr> wrote:
> > > So my question :
> > > Why the default gnustep browser wouldn't show files and
> > > directories separetly  as many other files browsers ?
> > Well, it's the way it's done on OpenStep. I actually find the gtk
> > filebrowser very annoying doing that. But I think that perhaps the
> > gnustep filebrowser could print directories in bold or another
> > colour to make them more easily distinguable. Or do like the
> > filebrowser on amiga which listed directories first and then files.
> > (it also had directories in blue).
>
> There actually (already?) is a way to show directories using a BOLD
> font by setting a NSGlobalDomain key.

It would be nice to see some (optional) sorting applied to the code that fills
out an NSBrowser from filesystem data. For example, I name my directories with
upper-case letters as their first character for a reason -- so they sort
earlier than my data files, which almost always have lower-case filenames. A
few suggestions (which would be optional for users, of course):

* "ASCII" (Unicode, obviously) value, like the typical "ls" run, as opposed to
the case-insensitive sort used now. Or at the very least, an optional
case-sensitive alphabetical sort.

* Promotion of branch nodes to the top of the list, or demotion to the bottom
of the list.

If implemented, either of these would allow/require an option to sort in
reverse order.