Re: RedHat flavor problems - help

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: RedHat flavor problems - help
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 12:47:32 +0000 (GMT)

I'm not really sure _ but _

one thing you might want to try is - I think you might be able to install
the gcc-3.0 compiler on the production machine without removing the
default one ... I've got two or three compilers on some of my machines - I
normally use the default one, but I can switch to use another one by using
sourcing (. file) something like the following scripts.

Say you install gcc-3.0 on the production machine, say into the /opt/gcc
directory.  This will not touch anything of the standard installation, so
it shouldn't affect other people.  Then, whenever you want to use that
compiler, you type `. use-gcc-3.0' where use-gcc-3.0 is the following
script

#!/bin/bash

PATH="/opt/gcc/bin:$PATH"
export PATH

LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/opt/gcc/lib/:/opt/gcc/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.0:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

whenever you log in the production machine, you source this script (so you
may want to add the command to do it to your ~/.bashwhatever script).
After running this script, typing `gcc' should give you your 3.0.x
compiler (try `gcc -v' to check).

Then, you can configure, build and install gnustep from sources on your
machine and they will automatically pick up the 3.0.x compiler rather than
the system one, and all should work.  (you need to source the use-gcc-3.0
script not only before compiling but before using any gnustep stuff as
well, because shared libs needed by gcc-3.0.x wouldn't be found
otherwise).

If you are worried you might harm other people by installing another
compiler, I think you can install gcc-3.0.x inside your own home
directory, just install it into something like into ~/opt/gcc/ (instead of
/opt/gcc) _ you don't need to be root to install so you shouldn't be able
to do any harm to other people even if you do something wrong _ and the
compiler should work just fine, it doesn't really matter where you install
it.

of course to install the compiler that way you need to get the sources and
compile them yourself, but it shouldn't be particularly difficult.