RedHat flavor problems - help

From: Miguel Morales
Subject: RedHat flavor problems - help
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 10:54:24 -0800

Dear all,

I'm running a scientific program that is analyzing real time data, and I'm getting very strange problems that I've tracked to RedHat library problems, and I was wondering if there was anyone out there with experience to help me sort them out.

I am running my code on a redhat 7.1 machine, stock configuration. Because this is a production machine which I don't administer and is used by a number of scientists, I can't change the setup willy-nilly. 7.1 ships with the gcc 2.96-85, and I heard on this mailing list that this compiler does not work for GNUstep. So I just installed the foundation rpms from the GNUstep website onto this production machine. I also have another machine which cannot be used for production work, but I can warp to my needs for compilation. On this compilation machine I have redhat 6.2 and gcc 2.95.1-3 where I compile my code (again with the rpm GNUstep libraries), and ship them to the production 7.1 machine. The problem is that I'm getting rare errors on the 7.1 production machine that are giving me a real headache and look like linker or run-time problems, and don't occur on the 6.2 machine (there I just run across a kernel bug while messaging if I run out of real memory).

So the question is this: does anyone know how to make binaries that will work on a largely unmodified 7.1 machine? Should I create a compilation machine with 7.1 and downgrade the compiler to 2.95 (will this work)? Should I create a 7.1 machine with gcc 3.02, and will this create issues with C libraries compiled under the 2.96 compiler so that I need to upgrade everything in sight, or can 3.02 mix and match?

Thank you in advance for your help. GNUstep offers really great tools, and I hope it is encouraging to see user type questions showing up on this list,

-Miguel