Re: OPENSTEP->GNUstep Porting Questions

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: OPENSTEP->GNUstep Porting Questions
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 21:14:48 -0800 (PST)

--- Jay McCarthy <jay@kenyamountain.com> wrote:
> I am porting some applications and frameworks and I have some questions
> about OPENSTEP and GNUstep (more important, their differences) , which
> if answered would help me port them.
>
> 1) In some ProjectBuilder makefiles the variable 'PSWFILES' is declared
> and there are some '.psw' files in the directory. I could find no trace
> of such files on The Internet, and the gnustep-make makefiles do not
> mention such a variable. Is there an equivalance in GNUstep for these
> files (or their functions) and if so what is it?

<appname>_PSWRAP_FILES = psfuncts.psw

is what you need to use in the GNUmakefile for the application.

PSW files are Postscript Wrapper files.   These allow the programmer to define
a function purely in postscript and then run a program called "pswrap
<filename>" to produce the resulting .c file.

> 2) Some of these programs are trying to use the class NSDPSContext,
> which is defined in the 'Display Postscript' section of the OPENSTEP
> spec. In the gnustep-gui reference documentation it claims that this
> class is defined in 'Gui/NSDPSContext.h'. There is no NSDPSContext.h in
> System/Headers - anywhere (as far as I can find). Would this imply that
> that class must be implemented still?
>  I realize that in gnustep/dgs/dgs/DPS there is a DPSContext
> (class|struct?), but I don't know if that is what I need (nor can I find
> the proper header which defines it)

NSGraphicContext takes the place of NSDPSContext on MOSX and GNUstep.
Postscript functions can be found in PSOperators.h.

> 3) Is there a way to get the target architecture of a compile from with
> that compile via macros? similiar to the __TARGET_ARCHITECTURE__ and/or
> __ARCHITECTURE__ macros of NeXTstep/MacOS X/etc

Not sure why this matters.

> 4) Is there an equivalence in NeXTstep/etc makefiles to the
> 'aggregate.make' of GNUstep? I have no NeXTstep machine to look on, nor
> do I find any documentation on how the makefiles worked in NeXTstep, nor
> have I seen an reference to such a similiar project type in any source
> that I have encountered.

Yes there is an equivalent.  A few apps have been ported and are available on
the ftp.gnustep.org server.

> These are my questions for now, but as I am not nearly finished with my
> task more questions will probably prop up.
>
> --
> Jay McCarthy <jay@kenyamountain.com>
> l3pr053y cr3vv

Later, GJC