Re: White background in icons and WM integration

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: White background in icons and WM integration
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 22:12:57 -0800 (PST)

--- "Chris B. Vetter" <chrisv@web4inc.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Dec 2001 23:28:33 +0100 (CET)
> Erik Dalen <dalen@jpl.se> wrote:
> > On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Frederico.S.Muñoz wrote:
> > > Docking GNUstep apps doesn't work in Window Maker. They end up
> > > being called by the binary (full linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu etc);
> > > I can of course change the command to openapp, but better
> > > integration could perhaps be viewed as a wishlist item?
>
> I don't want to start another FW, but I'm curious:
> Why should GNUstep be bend to fit Window Maker, not vice-versa?

I don't believe that GNUstep should change to fit anything.  it should remain
as generic as possible so that it can be useful to the widest number of people.

> According to WMaker's HP, WMaker offers integrated support, so
> should not WMaker be changed to accept what GNUstep offers?
> Taking a close look at GNUstep's source, it's already too
> closely tied to WMaker (IMHO)

Not really.   It is made to recognize when Window Maker is present.  GNUstep
does not *depend* on WindowMaker in any real way.  The idea is that GNUstep
works *best* with WindowMaker.

> > I agree.
> > another thing that would be good is if gnustep gui set the icon
> > properly so that you get an icon when you dock the app as well.
>
> You will, if you dock the applications/icons to GWorkspace's Fiend.

A GNUstep based dock is, I believe, the way we should go eventually.   The
problem with integrating with Window Maker is due to the fact that it is not
written using GNUstep/OPENSTEP and is, therefore, not aware of how to interface
with GNUstep applications.

> --
> Chris

=====